The functions of School Boards are to take part in:
- Establishing and reviewing from time to time, the school’s objectives, priorities and general policy directions
- The planning of financial arrangements necessary to fund those objectives, priorities and directions
- Evaluating the school’s performance in achieving those formulating codes of conduct for students at the school
- Determining, in consultation with students, their parents and staff, the dress code for students when they are attending or representing the school
- Determining, in consultation with students, their parents and staff, promotion of the school in the community.
Note: “Taking part in” could involve the School Board in discussion, consultation, contribution, assessment, debate and negotiation of issues on behalf of students, parents and the school.
Note: The school Code of Conduct describes expectations for student behaviour and management procedures for inappropriate behaviour. The Code includes rights and responsibilities of members of the school community.The School Board ratifies the code, including specified behavioural consequences and serious breaches of discipline.
The School Board approves:
- Charges and contributions for the provision of certain materials, services and facilities
- Extra cost optional components of educational program items to be supplied by a student for personal use in an educational program
- Any agreements or arrangements for advertising or sponsorship in relation to the school.
Note: “to determine”, “to promote” and “to approve” represents a change from “taking part in” to a stronger, more authoritative role for the School Board with a greater depth of involvement and a clearly defined decision making function.